About Our Scheme
The Non State Schools Transport Assistance Scheme (NSSTAS) is a joint initiative of the Queensland Catholic Education Commission (QCEC) and Independent Schools Queensland (ISQ).
The Scheme is administered by QCEC on behalf of all non-state schools in Queensland and is funded by the State of Queensland with the assistance of the Department of Education and Training.
NSSTAS has two programs available only to Queensland residents:-
Bus Fare Assistance Program (BFAP)
The purpose of the BFAP is to provide financial assistance to families who pay more than a nominated weekly threshold in bus/ferry fares to transport their student to a non-state school located outside the Brisbane City Council boundary.
Students With Disability (SWD)
The purpose of the SWD program is to provide financial assistance to families of those students whose disability necessitates transport assistance to and from a non-state school by a means that take into account their disability.
Eligible for Both Programs?
- If you only have one student eligible for NSSTAS and that student is eligible under both programs, please only apply for Students With Disability (SWD) assistance.
- If you have several students in your family and some are eligible under Students With Disability (SWD) and Bus Fare Assistance (BFAP) programs, please click on 'Students With Disability' for futher information.
Having Difficulty with the Internet?
- If parents are unable to apply online, please contact your School for assistance.
- Internet access and training may also be available from local council libraries.
Funds are limited and the level of assistance provided to eligible applicants depends on the program funds available in the relevant semester.
About Other Schemes
Other forms of assistance may be available directly from the Department of Transport & Main Roads (DTMR) through their School Transport Assistance Scheme (STAS).
- These are summarised at the first item under the "Bus Fare Assistance" and "Students With Disability" links above. STAS may include a Conveyance Allowance if you live outside the Brisbane City Council boundary and drive to a bus stop, or school if there is no bus. You may be eligible for STAS and/or NSSTAS.